Saturday, March 22, 2014

No pursuit is a thoughtless pursuit.


I've been being dishonest. Well, kind of, in a seriously strange sort of way, in which I didn't mean to. I originally meant for this to be a way for me to organize my ideas so that I could read them later, yet I haven't been able to accomplish even that. What I'm trying to say is, the last few posts, my first three, weren't really my thoughts. They were obtuse and unfocused, thinking more of myself, rather than sharing my own thoughts. 

So I'll change. I already have, can't you tell?

-Tanis Half-Elven



“I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.
"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.” 
― J.R.R. TolkienThe Fellowship of the Ring


Time. The currency of the World. The one thing that no matter how much you try, will never have enough of. Trust me, I'm only a teenager and again and again this is proven to me. Yes, my agenda is somewhat different than most kids my age; I program, they play video games, I read an article on The History of Anti-Aliasing, and they read Divergent.

I feel as if every minute I am working on something new, like Learning about Pointers and References in C++, I am using that minute at the best of my ability, and learning new things in which I can't any other way. It is my progression. This is the way in which I grow.

But I look at other people, and they are spending their precious minutes... Collecting Dolls? Or even watching a show about people collecting dolls? I don't know. Sounds wasteful.

But other people would say the same thing about what I am doing.

Here is something that I was told in my first job as a Janitor, when I was just learning to code:
"Why even bother creating the things you are trying to create? Why waste your time? Because you are. No matter what you build, somebody else will always have a better working one, somewhere" --Coworker
True. I will give you this; it is correct to say that of what I build, there probably is a better one somewhere else, to an extent.  You see, the reason I build things is because it teaches me. I wouldn't learn ANYTHING new if I never spent my time creating a Java Application that did Absolutely Nothing.

And because of that reasoning, I assume that no pursuit is a thoughtless pursuit. Yes, it may be wasteful, pointless, or not really worth it. But there is most likely a reason. Collecting dolls seems to invent some kind of new, interesting life for people, where they get TV shows about them, and if that is the case, that is awesome. I am happy for any person able to do what they love.

We as Humans only have so much time. But because of that, it doesn't mean that what others do with their time is worthless, as opposed to what I do with my time. Not everyone wants to be a programmer, or even needs to. In fact, now that I've learned some of the morals of programming, I would probably say that people should shy away from programming, unless they are absolutely sure they need to be programming, because 9/10 times, they don't.

So please go and do what you love, and do it to the best of your ability.


No comments:

Post a Comment