Monday, March 17, 2014

Directive: Kill all Humans

I like to read. A lot. But I find I'm not as good of a Writer, as I am a Reader. It's a strange trade off. Apologies, if I have written something that didn't make sense at all. I'm putting forth effort over here. Hopefully I'll be coming out with a new post ever **4?** days? 

You know when you're in a mood to code? Nothing can hold you back; you just want to type your code. You start typing, with a new project in mind, and you get about... here:

class MyClass{
    public static void main(String[] args){
             /**
              * This code will... 
              *Wait?!? What will it do? 
              *How will I do that? Huh? What was my idea??? ...
              */
    } 
}

Because I sure do. I've done that. Who hasn't? For surely any passionate programmer has melded away hours on... Nothing? Or is this actually worthwhile?

I recently read an article about how people who become **masters** have about 10,000 hours of doing the thing that they are **masters** of. At least.

This figure doesn't worry me at all. I've been coding for about 9 months now, and I feel comfortable saying in that time I've coded at LEAST 300 hours. Yes. 300.

[EDIT: Well, this is future me talking. I'd like to rework the math real quick so you can see, and I'm about at 12 months now... hmmm. (12(months) * 30(days per month) * 2(hours per day) ) = 720, although this is probably a bit higher because of the amount of days I did not code (although I did code quite a bit), so a safe estimate is 600+ hours of programming. 9,400 to go.]

Another interesting thing I read talked about how people don't actually have to have great credentials or to have graduated MIT to make a large sum of money per year, right out of college (In programming, of course). What I've found is: Employers worry more about you're experience.

Lesson: Experience is everything. Program and Program and Program.

And on that note, here is my JavaScript game:
(Use 'space' to shoot; and the Arrow Keys to move)
Feel free to comment your highscores; Mine is 8880.

No comments:

Post a Comment